Technology | Communications | IP | Commercial | Startups
About Nicholls Legal
Established in 2000, Nicholls Legal is a law firm located in South Melbourne, Australia. We specialize in Technology Law, Communications Law, Intellectual Property Law, Defamation Law, Commercial Law and Disputes.
We are progressive, client-focused lawyers and have successfully represented clients in the Supreme Court of Victoria, the Federal Court and the High Court of Australia.
Our clients vary from individuals and niche businesses, to large corporates, to government departments and agencies.
We are an independent law firm that prides itself on maintaining a professional, no-nonsense client ethic.
Our low overheads and direct-client relationships give us flexibility in client billing arrangements. Accordingly, our fees can be up to 50% lower than larger firms with equivalent expertise.
In most cases, it is possible to provide an upfront estimate of legal fees. Hence, there is a clear expectation of costs and the client can manage their own budget.
Technology & Communications Law is a highly specialized field, requiring extensive expertise and experience in a range of disciplines. These include dispute resolution, contract drafting and negotiation, as well as IT law, commercial law, intellectual property law, privacy law, internet law, trade practices, defamation and regulatory advice.
Nicholls Legal has the expertise and experience to address your needs in all of these areas. Having served ‘in-house’ as Regulatory & General Counsel at a major telecommunications carrier, Matthew Nicholls has earned a reputation as a lateral thinker and as a knowledgeable communications, technology and IT lawyer. As a commercial lawyer, he has produced a number of industry firsts in the areas of e-commerce transactions and telecommunications regulation.
Below is a sample of representative matters in which Nicholls Legal has acted.
- We have been appointed as a legal consultant to Adam Smith International (UK) to assist with its four year Nigeria Infrastructure Advisory Facility project.
- We successfully represented a number of telcos in the High Court when Telstra challenged the validity of the Trade Practices Act.
- We provided the lead legal and regulatory advice to TransACT Communications in its bid for the $4.7B NBN.
- We acted for the Victorian State Emergency Service in relation to the Black Saturday Bushfires Royal Commission.
- We were retained by Access Economics to advise the Federal Government in its review of next generation network regulations.
- We were retained by the ACCC to draft the model terms and conditions for the Australian telecommunications industry.